The Talbot County Council has enacted a temporary burn ban due to drought conditions and extreme heat. For more information, visit

Waterway Improvement

The Department of Public Works is responsible for maintaining waterway access for boating and fishing activities at 28 public landings owned by Talbot County.

For list of active public landings and usage permits, visit Parks and Recreation: Talbot County Parks & Recreation Landings Boat Slips Permits (

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where does funding come from for public landings and waterway access?

    Funding for maintenance and upgrade of these facilities is usually a combination of state and local appropriations as available and approved by the County Council for the Capital Improvement Program. State funding generally cannot exceed $50,000/year per facility and requires that recreational use of the facility be equally available to any resident of Maryland.

  • Can landings be reserved?

    No reservations for commercial use of any landing are permitted when using State Waterway Improvement Program funds. Most of our landings were funded through these state funds.

  • Who completes dredging projects?

    Specified federal channels in waterways designated for commercial use are maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers.

    Dredging of non-commercial waterways used primarily for recreational boating is generally maintained through formation of dredging districts. A dredging district, usually comprised of residents requesting the improvements, is responsible for reimbursement of costs to the County for design, permitting, and contracting of the requested dredging project, including disposal of spoils material. The dredging district must be approved by the County Council. State funding is used for dredging County owned boat ramp channels and basins.

  • How do I install a pier or bulkhead?

    Private construction of a pier, bulkhead, or revetment in tidal waters of the state requires a Zoning Permit from Talbot County Department of Planning and Zoning, and a joint federal/state license from the Maryland Department of Environment. For more information, reach out to Planning and Zoning.

  • I have questions about waterway improvement. Who should I contact?

    Reach out the Public Works Office at 410-770-8170 or the Planning and Zoning Department at 410-770-8030. The Maryland Department of Environment, Water Management Administration can be reached at 1-800-876-0200 or visit their website here.

Page last modified Tuesday, June 11, 2024 12:24:44 PM